Using sports news to take the lead in media innovation
Sports news will play a crucial role in media innovation. Journalists, Editors, designers, photographers and the whole news desk should play a key role in these innovations and form the future of news. GAMI is now proposing to create an international news initiative focused on sports.
- Sports combines all forms of content, from data, to text, video and immersion
- It addresses real time information and in depth reports
- It gathers an audience open to innovation
- It has a culture of investment in innovation and potential partners
A recent international event held in Lausanne (Switzerland), home of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), has shown that Sports Federations and sport media are facing the same challenge: being part of media evolution to preserve global income and information quality. The long battle about how they share rights and access has become secondary. It’s now time to act together! The initiative will be discussed in a GAMI roundtable in Durban.
Goals of the Roundtable
- Share knowledge and insights about the current situation and strategies,
- Exchange on recent experience in the media industry,
- Act with the Sports news initiative.
“Introduction why sports, challenges and key figures”
Nicolas Henchoz, Director, EPFL+ECAL Lab, Switzerland
“Towards immersive experience”
Andrew Perkis, Professor, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway
« INM Sport 360: A whole new ball game»
Cormac Bourke, Editor, Sunday Independent, Independent News & Media (INM), Ireland
« to be confirmed »
Jermaine Craig, Group Executive for Sport and Motoring at the Independent Media Group, South Africa
« Sports coverage for the 2020’s : a Norwegian use case »
Rolf Dyrnes Svendsen, Chairman of the Advisory Board of the Global Alliance for Media Innovation (GAMI)